Sunday, April 11, 2010

Week 11: The Perfect Mother


I spent the last week quilting with my wonderful mother. Although I know she feels that she doesn't always set the best example of motherhood, I've still managed to learn a lot of great things from her. For example, I've learned the ability and the importance of putting others' needs before my own. I've been feeling inspired in the past few days to reread the Proclamation on the Family, and to focus on perfecting the art of motherhood. The Proclamation states that the mother's primary responsibility is for the nurture of her children. Wow. Broad or anything? So I looked up nurture in the dictionary. It defined nurture as "to feed and protect; to support and encourage; and to bring up; train; educate." Okay. A little more specific, so it gives me a place to start. Going back to the Proclamation, it says that "parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, to teach them to love and serve one another, to observe the commandments of God and to be law-abiding citizens wherever they live." It's a tall order, but again, it gives me an idea of what I need to be doing as a mother. So this week, I'm hoping to be able to nurture my children better: to feed and protect them, support and encourage them, all with a gospel perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment