Monday, May 3, 2010

Day 1: Who Knew Tofu Could Be So Confusing?


Jared started getting suspicious this evening when it was time to make dinner and I broke out the tofu. I pretended to ignore the raised eyebrows, and continued with my recipe plan for the evening: Vegetarian Wraps (sautéed tofu, black beans, pepper jack cheese, and fresh salsa wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla) and corn cake. Jared had gotten down two bites when I asked him if he'd read my blog this week. He stared at me a moment, then shot from the table and into the den. A few moments later, we heard a loud "Vegetarian?" coming from that direction, followed shortly thereafter with a hearty chuckle. So I guess I didn't keep the secret very well, but at least now he knows what he's in for this week. He wasn't big on tonight's dinner (he scored it a 3 out of 5), and Jason even less so (he gave it a 0). Hayden didn't seem to complain, but then she didn't have any tofu. She ate beans, rice, cheese, scraps of tortilla, and corn cake. As for me, while I wasn't big on the tofu, I blame it on the consistency. I used silken tofu, as opposed to the extra firm the recipe called for, only because that's what I had on hand. I have made this recipe before (for myself), and liked the tofu just fine that time. I still enjoyed it tonight, but yeah, the tofu was all wrong. I guess there's a reason they make silken and firm. And a reason why it hasn't hit McDonald's yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment