Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Day 2: You Gotta Try This!


Today was good. I started with a smoothie from my Juice Cookbook made from banana, yogurt, vanilla, and ground flaxseed. It wasn't my favorite, but not bad. I think it would have been better if the banana were frozen. For lunch, Jason and I shared some mac 'n' cheese. Tonight I made Spring Risotto, a recipe I found in Diabetic Living Magazine. It was much better than anticipated, and I highly recommend it, even for non-vegetarians! Even Jason liked it (and that's saying a lot because this kid doesn't like anything)! So, I've included the recipe, so everyone can try it at home. I admit, I did tweak the recipe a bit, but it was very minor.

Spring Risotto

1 tbsp olive oil
1 fennel bulb, trimmed and
chopped, or 1 onion, chopped
(I used the onion. Who buys
fennel, anyway?)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
1 can (14 oz.) vegetable broth
12 ounces asparagus and/or
green beans, trimmed and cut
in 1-inch pieces (I used all
asparagus)
2 cups fresh arugula or spinach,
chopped (I used spinach)
1/2 cup radishes, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, snipped
(I didn't have any, so I didn't
use this. I'll leave it up to you.)
1/4 cup fresh mint or basil,
snipped (I used mint. Super
yummy)

1. In a large saucepan, heat oil
over medium heat. Add fennel
(or onion) and garlic; cook
5 minutes or until fennel is
tender, stirring occasionally.
Add the rice. Cook 5 minutes
or until rice is golden, stirring
frequently. Remove from heat.

2. Meanwhile, in a medium
saucepan, bring broth and 1 3/4
cups water to boiling. Add beans,
if using; cover and cook 5
minutes. Add asparagus, if using;
cover and cook 2-3 minutes
more or until tender. Using a
slotted spoon, transfer
vegetables to a bowl; set aside.
Reserve broth mixture in
saucepan. Reduce heat; cover
and keep broth mixture
simmering.
3. Carefully stir 1 cup of the
broth mixture into the rice
mixture. Cook, stirring
frequently, over medium heat
until liquid is absorbed. Stir
another 1 cup of the broth
mixture into the rice mixture.
Continue to cook, stirring
frequently, until liquid is
absorbed. Add another 1 cup of
broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time,
stirring frequently until broth is
absorbed. (This should take
18-20 minutes total.)

4. Stir in remaining broth
mixture. (I thought that at this
point the rice was still a little
too firm, but I'd used up all the
broth mixture, so I stirred in an
extra 1/2 cup water and stirred
until it was absorbed.
I then stirred in 2 tablespoons
butter and about 1/2 teaspoon
freshly ground lemon pepper -
you can get a mill of it at Trader
Joe's.) Cook and stir until rice
is slightly firm and creamy. Stir
in cooked asparagus and/or
beans, the arugula, radishes,
parsley, and mint. Serve
immediately.

The magazine says this serves
6 at 125 calories each. Since we
used it as a main dish, it serves
3 at 250 calories.


No comments:

Post a Comment