Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Day 3: Cinco de Mayo!


To be honest, I'm quite surprised at how well this whole vegetarian thing is going. I'm hardly even trying, and I haven't started missing meat yet. I'm not saying I'm making the switch permanent, let's not get crazy, but maybe 2-3 times a week wouldn't be so bad... especially for my waistline. I didn't have the energy to put the blender together for a smoothie this morning, so I joined Jason in a bowl of cereal. Not my favorite breakfast food, by the way. Lunch was my leftover risotto, which was super yummy. In honor of Cinco de Mayo, tonight's dinner was Sweet Potato Enchiladas (found the recipe at my go-to food website allrecipes.com), which got devoured... at least by my two boys (Jared and Jason) who live for enchiladas. Me? I can take 'em or leave 'em when they're covered in red enchilada sauce. They tasted fine, don't get me wrong, but as far as enchiladas are concerned, I prefer the ones covered in the white sour cream sauce (and calories). But now let me take this opportunity to give my two-cents about tortillas. This recipe calls for corn tortillas, which I love... when they're handmade at a fabulous Mexican restaurant. The ones you buy in the store pretty much crumble in your hands when you try to maneuver them even a little bit. Do I detect some head-nodding there? Good. You understand my pain. So I started experimenting with various brands, and I finally found one I love. Never again will I purchase Mission brand corn tortillas (yuck). Instead, I highly recommend that whenever you want to make tacos or some other recipe that uses corn tortillas, you buy nothing but La Tortilla Factory's Hand Made Style Corn Tortillas. They're actually a blend of corn and wheat, and you can buy them with yellow corn or white corn, and a few other varieties as well. But they are to die for (that is, if any tortilla is worth self-sacrifice). They're soft, they roll without being soaked in oil first, and they taste scrumptious straight out of the package. And they're pretty low in calories, too. 90 calories per tortilla with only 1 gram of fat. Not too shabby. I especially love using these for fish tacos, but I'd encourage you to find your own favorite use for them. There's really only one thing I don't like about them, and that is the fact that only one store in town carries them: Raley's.

1 comment:

  1. I'm lovin' these veggie recipe ideas! How awesome. I make enchilada verde and I have a recipe from America's Test Kitchen .. I don't make too many things without ATK at my side. =o) Their recipe says to put the corn tortilla's in the oven for 5 minutes and it makes them soft enough to roll up without breaking, but now I'm gonna have to try the La Tortilla's! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete