Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day 4: It's the Little Things



Who knew that trying to set your house in order would be so hard? I have really been struggling this week to find the proper balance between making a happy family and a clean home. At this point, I've been reduced to simply appreciating the little things I am able to accomplish. Here's what I crossed off the list today: I'm ecstatic that I was able to complete a menu plan that will take me through the next seven days. In addition, I did all my grocery shopping to cover all those planned meals (and I only spent around $20, another woohoo!). I provided a fabulously decorated shoe box to serve as Jason's Valentine Mailbox tomorrow at school. I helped Jason complete all his Valentines. I prepared a homemade gift of peanut butter truffles for Jason to give to his teacher. I got 80% of my laundry done. I swept my kitchen floor. I organized our Valentine's Day dinner with our friends, the Winmill's. And most importantly, I got the toilet baby-proofed (Hayden's been trying to use it to dunk her toothbrush, pacifier, my iPhone...). I also didn't lose my cool when I discovered Hayden applying lipstick ALL OVER HER FACE! As I tried to remove it, I realized that it was not just any old lipstick, it was Long-Wearing Lipstick. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get it off: baby wipes, soap and water on a coarse washcloth, makeup remover, baby oil.... I even rubbed ChapStick all over her face because that's what I put on my lips to remove the stuff. Well, it works great on lips. Not so much on baby faces. She's down for the night now, still wearing CoverGirl war paint. I did, however, manage to get a few pictures of her. I also took one of her blow-drying her hair, just because it makes me smile.

In retrospect, it's not bad for a day's work. It definitely had its ups and downs, and I am glad the day is over, but in truth, it could have been worse.


No comments:

Post a Comment