Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Day 1: A Ride on the Merry-Go-Round!


Somebody stop this thing! I want to get off! Yesterday was kind of a nightmarish day, trying to keep all these promises and my sanity all at the same time. But, I did manage to knock a few off my list. For starters, I had promised Jared that I would finally take Jason to the doctor's office, as he's been fighting this nasty cough for over a month now. After a few calls, and a large chunk of time on hold, I finally got an appointment for 11:30. By this time, of course, it was already 10:00, and I had yet to shower, get dressed, feed the kids, and get them ready for the day. So we barely made it in time for the appointment. But it got done. Dr. Burke filled out a prescription for amoxicillin and we were on our way to keep yet another promise. But first, I had some essentials to pick up at Target. We did a whirlwind pass through Target, then drove 21 miles to The Container Store in San Jose to get the plastic shoeboxes Jared wanted for his mini greenhouses. During the drive, Hayden fell asleep, and I wasn't looking forward to waking her up. But, as it turned out, I didn't have to, because as I was preparing to exit my vehicle and go into the store, I realized my wallet wasn't in the diaper bag. I searched every compartment, under the seats, in the grocery bags, everywhere. It was gone. I realized I must have left it at Target... back in Fremont. To be sure, I pulled out my phone and called. Sure enough, they had my wallet, thank goodness! So, we retraced our steps back to Target, collected the wallet, and turned around again for The Container Store. Jared had better appreciate those stupid boxes! It was an 86-mile drive just to get them! But my errands still weren't done. I still had to stop for milk and butter, so we hit Safeway on the way home. Of course, as soon as we're in the store Jason announced that he had to go to the bathroom. So we all crammed in to the small bathroom and took turns before returning to our shopping. Once the car was loaded with groceries and the kids were all buckled in and ready to go, I reached into the diaper bag to retrieve my phone so I could plug it into my dashboard as always. It wasn't there. Again, I tore apart the diaper bag. Not there. So, I quickly pulled the kids back out of the car and rushed towards Safeway's entrance. We were stopped by another young mother and her daughter. "Are you looking for your phone?" she asked. "Yes!" I replied. "Yeah, I recognized your kids from the photo on it. I turned it in to Customer Service." I could have kissed this woman! I thanked her, and ran inside, where my phone was waiting for me. I am extremely grateful for honest people. But, the day wasn't over. Once we were home, we had a quick dinner, quick clean-up, quick Family Home Evening, and then I kept my final promise on my to-do list today. I finished making baby shower invitations, and with my girlfriend, Emily's help, got them all addressed, stamped, and ready to go. Phew! Free at last! Did I mention how well I slept last night?

2 comments:

  1. Crazy day? That's kind of an understatement. I wouldn't have gone back down to San Jose - you're a good wife. Also .. How incredible that there are some wholesome, good, and honest people out there. What a relief!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I think I would have given up at the container store and gone another day. I like to leave my wallet in the shopping cart, in the parking lot no less. Thankfully, both times I have actually left it honest peolpe have turned it in. Good luck with tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete